Pie and zoom-in-stacked column
- Pie charts are often criticised. Comparing the size of pie segments can be difficult, and many visualisation experts suggest that bar-charts should be used instead.
- When using colours to portray data values or types, ensure that the colors used are accessible to all users. Online tools such as ColorBrewer (www.colorbrewer.org) can help identify issues with colours used.
- 100% stacked bar-charts can mislead users into thinking the data values represented by the different bars are the same (as the heights of the bars are 100%). This needs to be made clear on the visualisation.
- 100% stacked bar charts can be created in a range of standard data applications such as Excel.
- Pie charts can be created in a range of standard data applications such as Excel.
- Tables can be created in a range of standard data applications such as Excel.